Upon arriving in Salt Lake City in 1863, Swedish immigrant and Mormon convert, Nils (Niels) A. Lindquist, established himself as a premiere furniture maker. One of his beautiful beds is still exhibited today in Brigham Young’s Beehive House in Salt Lake City.
In 1867, Nils fulfilled a calling from, Brigham Young to help settle the Logan area and become a cabinet and furniture maker for a growing Cache Valley. Soon thereafter, he began making caskets and became the town undertaker, naming his enterprise N.A. Lindquist Furniture and Undertaking Goods. The shop’s location was “One Door East of Tithing Office, Logan.”
Nils’s oldest son, Charles J. A., learned the family trade starting with his father and following the first of two LDS missions to Sweden, moved his family to Ogden establishing a mortuary in 1885. As his sons Carl, Clyde, and Milton entered the family business the name evolved to C.J.A. Lindquist & Sons Mortuary. Upon C.J.A.’s death in 1934, his sons, along with his second wife, Ada, continued their service to the families of northern Utah. Their son, John A. Lindquist, began working at the mortuary at an early age. He obtained his education at Weber College and served with distinction in the Army Air Corps in WWII.
In 1941, construction began at Lindquist’s main mortuary facility located at 3408 Washington Blvd. President David O. McKay, a counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and future Church president, dedicated Lindquist’s Colonial Chapel in 1942. This landmark facility serves people of all faiths in an atmosphere of peace and serenity.
In 1949, the former Clearfield’s Sunset Mortuary became Lindquist’s Clearfield Mortuary and in 1960, Lindquist’s Kaysville Mortuary was constructed. In order to better serve a growing Davis County, Lindquist’s Bountiful Mortuary opened in 1966 with extensive remodeling and expansion in 2003. Lindquist’s North Ogden Chapel was dedicated in 1981 and Lindquist’s Layton Mortuary opened in 1984. To serve north Davis County’s burgeoning population, construction on a new mortuary in Layton, currently Utah’s largest, was completed in 1997. Lindquist’s Roy Mortuary opened in 2004 patterned after Layton’s elegant design and maintaining Lindquist’s distinctive American Colonial motif.
Click here to view all of our mortuaries.
Lindquist’s owned and operated cemeteries include Lindquist's Washington Heights Memorial Park and Mausoleum, South Ogden, 1947; Lindquist's Memorial Gardens of the Wasatch, South Ogden, 1967, and Lindquist's Memorial Park at Layton, 1988.
Click here to view all of our cemeteries.